Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mardi Gras vs Mardi Grinch

Image from http://republicjewelry.com
Tonight marks the beginning of the Mardi Gras for many bears travelling to Sydney for Mardi Gras. The Underbear party, as the name suggests, is when bears from all around Australia and visiting countries get down to their undies and do what bears do best....party. However, not everyone shares this Mardi Gras spirit, with many people ambivalent at best, or those anti-Mardi Gras.

I can vividly remember holding grinch-like views about Mardi Gras. I felt that the parade was purely another commercial exploitation of gay culture. I felt the television broadcast served to perpetuate the ignorance in straight community about the diversity of gay and lesbian culture, and the body types we inhabit. My television-only perspective of Mardi Gras had left me with belief that it was not something I wished to participate in. I held this view without ever having experienced Mardi Gras first hand.

Having been to Mardi Gras twice now, I can only say that that my attitude has changed dramatically. My experiences of Mardi Gras have been warm, inclusive and a celebration of diversity. The bear events, such the Underbear party have to be experienced to be understood. You only have to look around the room to see every size, shape and age enjoying the same space in the celebration of what it means to be a bear, and go a little crazy at the same time.

My experience of marching in the parade was something I will never forget. After hours of waiting in the marshaling area, it was finally our turn to head up Oxford St. As soon as the crowds recognised the presence of the bears, they erupted in applause and excitement. I had never experienced such an overwhelming feeling of pride and achievement within myself. I had overcome a lot in my life just to be there, marching among my fellow bears staking our claim among gay community.

Looking back now, it was my fear and prejudice about Mardi Gras which had clouded my judgement. I had judged it based upon what I saw on television,  and had projected my own insecurity about not feeling worthy of being a part of it. I was wrong, I was always worthy, my predudice had just clouded my vision. Wishing all the bears a safe and sexy time. Happy Mardi Gras!

1 comment:

  1. So how do you feel about bear drag? It's a regular event at Bear New Zealand (our bear pride week), and this year I encountered a rather disgruntled Australian tourist who loathed the very idea of bears in women's clothing: http://bipolarbear.co.nz/2012/02/17/bear-drag-the-disgusted-tourist/

    Another friend of mine (backupbear over at unsane.info) sympathised with his view, because he had grown up with the same feelings toward Mardi Gras that you once had.

    ReplyDelete